http://time.com/3399631/scotland-independence-referendum-2/
Benjamin Franklin once said, "Where liberty dwells, there is my country," and today, the people of Scotland have the right to choose liberty or to remain unified with England. The historic referendum sparks hope into the eyes of those yearning for independence, yet strikes caution into those who fear the economic and social outcomes of this possibly life-changing event. The topic has been vigorously debated in schools and stores, restaurants and pubs, but the vote remains close to a 50/50 split, with 'no' surprisingly taking the narrow lead.
Those fervently in favor of independence argue that fear remains the underlying cause for Scotland's delay of independence. One man says, “People aren’t supposed to be scared. They’re supposed to have a country they believe in.” Franklin fought for the split from oppressive Britain so many years ago just as the Scots are doing now. After 307 years of Britain holding Scotland's hand, many believe it is time for them to govern themselves and accept the responsibilities that come with it.
However, many individuals remain loyal to the union with Britain and argue that: "it's not about fear; it's about pragmatism." They don't believe Scotland is ready to undertake the enormous duties that come with an independent government. One woman says, “I wouldn’t gamble with my business or my home or my parents’ pensions — let alone with a whole country’s businesses, homes or pensions.” How can Scotland, after being governed so long by Britain, be confident in its decisions and actions as a free country?
Franklin would even argue, "Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and gain both." Since the country appears so split, there looms a great deal of mistrust about the matter. Therefore, should Scotland even take the risk if it will only fail? How will failure affect the citizens and the future of the country? Or should liberty reign over Scotland once and for all?
Ashley,
ReplyDeleteI like how you incorporated Benjamin Franklin throughout the blog rather than just writing one paragraph specifically for him. I also like how you made a full-circle connection with Ben Franklin quotes at the beginning and end.
I really like the connection you made between Franklin and Scotland's current situation. The quotes you used were very relevant to the connection you wanted to make. The three questions were a great way to end the blog entry.
ReplyDeleteAshley, i really relished, just like Jason, how you constantly included Ben Franklin and his quotes throughout your blog. I also loved how you quoted a woman to further exasperate on your point of people believing that it is better to stay with England rather than become independent.
ReplyDeleteAshley, I really enjoyed your blog post. I liked the connections you made to Benjamin Franklin and the relation he has to this topic. I thought it was clever and helpful that after you listed your quotes, you explained and reacted to them yourself. The questions you proposed throughout your blog pulls the reader in to think for themselves about the issue. Very good job!
ReplyDeleteI like how you give both sides of the issue. What side do you think is stronger?
ReplyDeleteMs Brusky, the article I read didn't give information about the actions Scotland would take if it were to become a free country; therefore I would have to agree with the woman that brings up the huge economic risk involved. In this article alone I believe there was stronger evidence for remaining with Britain rather than becoming free.
ReplyDelete