For my service project, I chose to help out at St. Margaret of Scotland. I have always loved kids and being around them because they bring a fresh energy and playful attitude to life. Therefore, I knew this experience would not only fulfill the requirement, but also be enjoyable.
When I first pulled up to the school I felt a little nervous and somewhat overwhelmed. I met the principal and he introduced us to a lady who ran the after school programs. Immediately she put us to work passing out snacks, helping with homework, and occupying the children. Honestly, I was a little shy at first and yes, I was even worried if the children would like me or not. However, I quickly learned how welcoming all the people there were and realized an important aspect of greatness-confidence. Great people don't let fear hold them back from intimidating situations, but rather they remain calm and assertive in times of chaos. In doing so, people are drawn to their bold presence.
I was assigned to help the children in first and second grade with homework. I hoped that I would be able to help them understand and teach them effectively. Well I must have been doing good because before long I found myself sitting amongst them sharing a cookie with a boy I helped with spelling. It was such a warming feeling seeing their little eyes light up when they finally understood a math problem or they finally pronounced that difficult word after stumbling over it or they finally spelled all of there spelling words right. It was a great feeling to know that I contributed to their success, that I was able to help them and make them feel so good about themselves. It showed me that greatness does not have to be achieved on large scale levels. Even little things can be considered great as long as they help a person in some way.
After they all finished their homework, we were able to play games and just converse with them. Talking with them I learned about their hobbies, their favorite movies, and even expanded my knowledge about The Ninja Turtles. Talking with them was the best part because they are so honest and frank. They always speak their mind and don't care what other people think. This reminded me of the Emerson reading from class about being a nonconformist. The children have not experienced the judgment of society yet and therefore do not fear consistency like we do. It was inspiring to see how someone so small could be so independent and confident.
Before leaving, I received numerous hugs and "Don't go's" or "Please stay's". It was a good feeling to know that in such a short time I made an impact on their lives, no matter how small that impact was. I can't wait to return next week and experience that happiness again.
Ashley, your connection to Emmerson is very well said and supported. I find your blog post about your service great and very inspiring.
ReplyDeleteAshley, I really liked your input on greatness; it uncovered one aspect many of us do not think about right away when asked about greatness. The experience you had serving others not only helped them, but also it brought you happiness. Great job
ReplyDeleteI liked reading about how much you loved helping those kids and made a connection to Emmerson. Your post was very fun to read.
ReplyDeleteI loved your post! You made it seem like you really enjoyed your experience, and it seemed like the kids loved you! I'm so happy!
ReplyDelete