At first, I was a little stumped and didn't know what I should do, let alone for who. I know all the elderly neighbors on my block, so I couldn't do anything for them. Then, when I was coming home from school, I saw a man that lives on my block. A few years ago he had an accident that left him in a wheelchair. In the summer, he always tries to walk up and down the block with his crutches. But when it gets cold, he stops. I saw him riding his motorized scooter in the street with his young daughter on his lap. He was picking her up from school and I thought it was so sweet. I knew I wanted to do something for him. But what? Maybe, write a note, encouraging him to not give up trying to walk. But then it snowed yesterday, and I knew what to do.
The man lives across the street with his wife and two young daughters. I thought to myself, he can't shovel and his daughters are too young to be out in the cold. When it snows, he is probably locked inside because the ramp is too slippery to get down. So I decided to go shovel in front of their house.
None of them saw me when I shoveled, and I haven't seen any of them since yesterday. I'm sure they were surprised and very thankful when they saw their front was clear. I decided that I will keep shoveling the rest of this winter and the winters to come.
I fulfilled the Marist Mark: Marist students serve. I fulfilled this one because I lent my service to a family on my block that really needed and deserved it.

No comments:
Post a Comment